Quinoa and Black Bean Lettuce Wraps
My friend Liz and I came up with this recipe at work a few weeks ago. We created it for an elementary school nutrition class. We tried out two versions - this one and an Asian flavored one (more gingery with soy sauce and sesame oil). We liked both, but we decided to serve this one. Most of the kids liked it, although some were freaked out by the word, quinoa.
- 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 1 Red or yellow pepper, rinsed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 (15oz) can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Cooked quinoa
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1 Avocado, peeled and diced
- To taste Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- To taste Salt and black pepper
- 8 leafs Boston Bibb lettuce
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package.
- Prepare onion and red pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients above (except for lettuce leafs).
- Once the mixture is combined, spread ¼ cup of the mixture onto each lettuce leaf and wrap/fold over like a taco shell.
- Enjoy as a snack or a quick lunch!