Simple Italian Tomato Sauce
Learning to make a simple (and delicious) Italian sauce is an essential skill for any cook. A good sauce recipe is like the little black dress of the food world. It's simple, classic and highly versatile. This recipe is very easy to make and can be paired with many different dishes - eggplant, chicken or zucchini parm, spaghetti and meatballs, stuffed peppers, etc. If you don't already have a great sauce recipe, make this one today!
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 64 oz Crushed tomatoes
- 2 T Parsley, rinsed, chopped
- 2 T Basil, rinsed, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 t Sea salt
- 1/2 t Black pepper
- In a large sauce pan, combine the olive oil and the garlic and onion (cook on low/medium heat until golden brown on edges and fragrant)
- Next, add the cans of crushed tomatoes and stir. Cook on low heat for about 5-10 minutes (until sauce starts to boil).
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Now add the basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Continue to allow the sauce to boil on medium/low heat for another 5-10 minutes.